Monday, August 13, 2012

Mascara, Eyeliner, and why I (sometimes) wear cotton....the girly side of obstacle racing

I am not a girly girly and never have been.  When I get muddy, soaking wet, and dirty, I dont look so good.  I don't feel pretty, and I don't want to be photographed.  The thing is though, that I am photographed.
There are photographers everywhere at Spartan Race and the other obstacle races.  And at the end of the day, when the race is done, and I'm all cleaned up - I love to look at those photos, post them, share them, and brag about them!  So.... this is why I have been known to wear maskara, eyeliner, and even (Brace yourselves!!!!) COTTON while racing! 
This may not be a mainstream trend, it may be looked down upon by others, but I promise you..... I am not the only one who does it, and you too can get away with it.  I am happy to say that I have won races wearing all of the above girly items mentioned :) 

OK - so why would I ever wear cotton?
I wear cotton because it fits my hips and gut area!  Trust me, I would actually love to wear the spandex like bootie shorts that some of my friends can get away with but those + my hips = super sized bulging muffin top (NOT FLATTERING).  If I feel like I have a muffin top I am going to be self conscious and this will not help my racing.  If I feel I look athletic, I will be more confident and likely race better.  I am not dissing my body, I'm fine with my body, I'm just being honest.  I have a little extra around the hip region, my barb wire scars on the love handles prove it.  When your love handle gets caught and sliced twice by the barb wire, you know its sticking out! 
I will say that I did not wear my favorite cotton shorts to a Spartan Race without testing them at a less competitive "other race".  When soaking wet and muddy they do sag a little, but nothing distracting, and nothing more than any other pair I have.  I love the animal print on my cotton pants, and I love the bedazzled booty that says "LOVE PINK" (I have the pink leopard shorts too).  These bedazzled sequins set off the security check at the airport coming back from the FL SuperHero Scramble and these bedazzled sequins survived electroshop therapy at tough mudder.  I'm not saying that everyone should wear cotton to race, I'm just saying that if you want to, you can.  It is best to test it out first - by wearing it in the shower or the pool, but it can and has been worn successfully.  Cotton blends that have elastic seem to hold up better than 100% cotton, and cotton seems to get less saggy as shorts/pants than tops.
On a final note I will say that my choice to (sometimes) wear cotton is budget related as well.  I know there are a few companies out there making good looking bright colored, non-cotton, shorts that I would love to wear - but they can be expensive!  As much as I would love to buy the latest and most stylish non cotton gear, I would rather spend my money getting to the next race :)



Make my eyes look pretty for the camera! - Waterproof mascara and eyeliner:
I often wear waterproof mascara and eyeliner to race.  I have been teased by many people for this including the anouncer at a very popular race series.  I wear this "make-up" because it makes me feel pretty and confident and if I feel that way I race better.  It is as simple as that.  I sware I am not a vain person and anyone who knows me will tell you.  I just like to look good kicking butt and rocking the races! 
I know I am not alone in my mascara and eyeliner habbit.  A group of girls recently posted about it on the Spartan Social website, wondering what would be the best brands.  Here's what they came up with:
  • Mabeline Pink tube
  • Stilla
  • Falsies
  • Blinc Kiss Me
  • Este Lauder Waterproof
  • Cannonball
OK girls - Happy Racing and for the guys out there - I promise to not blog about something so girly next time!
-Corinne

2 comments:

  1. Per 'The Spartan Guide to the Sport of Obstacle Racing': "Possessing too little body fat can also have deleterious effects by suppressing the endocrine and immune systems and negatively affecting the adaptation to regular training. In women, it may be particularly harmful as it affects the production of estrogen and is linked to the development of osteoporosis."

    Translation: Your hips rock, Corinne. Aroo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks C-Lo - I'm happy to be in compliance with "The Spartan Guide to the Sport of Obstacle Racing"! I'm just not built like a skinny girl so I gotta go with it!

    ReplyDelete