Sunday, April 14, 2013

Gear Review - Solomon Speed Cross Shoes

Its been a while since I have done a gear review and it is much overdue.  Since I have started Obstacle Racing in May 2011 I have been through 3 brands/styles of shoes and I have finally found one that works really well for me: The Solomon Speed Cross (non gortex version). I have worn them at my last 3 ReebokSpartan Races, for  70K Fuego y Agua race, and the San Luis Obispo Marathon last weekend.




What I like about this shoe:

  • It is lightweight but not as light as a minimalist shoe so offers additional support.
  • It is made of fabric and not mesh - this helps a lot with preventing dust and small rocks from getting in.  The "body" of the shoe is really solid and doesn't have many seams for brush or stickers to get stuck in.
  • This shoe has non traditional - draw string type laces.  I really like this.  After triple or quadruple tying my shoes in many races I have found they still come un-done.  With the draw string lace I have never had this problem and they are easy to put on and take off.  I have had to use my teeth to untie traditional knots after a weekend of mud and racing.
  • The tread is really good for mud, rocks, and trail running.
  • They dry relatively quickly and are not horribly heavy when wet.
  • They come in many bright colors.
Downfalls to this shoe
  • The shoe is relatively expensive - I got my first pair on sale at running warehouse. Also looking for last years model can save a bit of money.
  • The tread (rubber) is soft and wears down easily - especially if you use them to run on the road.  
If you get a chance to try a pair out I highly recommend them (I am not endorsed by Solomon in any way, just love their shoes)

-Corinne

No comments:

Post a Comment